Even though we’re in the middle of summer, I am all about the fun reads on a lazy afternoon. And with my solo vaca rapidly approaching, I need to get my life together and gather a good read or two while I soak up the sun (hint #2!). Normally, I’m not a biggest reader because honestly life gets too busy for me to read on a regular basis, but when it comes to laying out, beach time, or just enjoying an AC unit in bed, I love a hot summer read to keep my imagination going. I’ve read all kinds of books, but for whatever reason the chick-lit and YA (young adult) books always grab my attention; from The Hunger Games to Where’d you go, Bernadette?, they always consume my life for a couple weeks in the summer. So this week, I decided to give you my summer reading list from Goodreads. My list has a variety of new and old selections (funny autobiographies to classic reads are all sprinkled in) that are sure to satisfy, so with that said let’s get to it!
- Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood & Scientology by Leah Remini is perfect like a peach… juicy! Leah discusses her involvement with the Church of Scientology from childhood up until she left in 2013. With honest, unapologetic humor this book left me constantly wanting to know more throughout.
- Dirty Rush by Taylor Bell was the trashy college novel I needed in my life! Think of this book as Animal House meets a skanky version of Nancy Drew. The exaggerated tales of sorority and fraternity life made me happy to relive my mild-mannered Greek experience. And the fun part is figuring out who is really Taylor Bell!
- Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny by Holly Madison randomly ended up on my list after a friend told me some interesting tales of the infamous Playboy Mansion. Holly’s completely shows her readers that she’s not just another dumb blonde in the harem and that life isn’t all that charmed with an 80 year old boyfriend.
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett is a true classic that never really gets old. As a re-read for me and the situations happening in our country daily, getting a reminder that “you is kind, you is smart, you is important,” is a nice change of pace.
- Room by Emma Donoghue has already been created into a Oscar award winning movie, but the book is supposedly way better! Just keep a box of tissues near because it’s suppose to be a bit of a tearjerker.
- The Girls by Emma Cline is a New York Times Best Seller and is the hottest new book out this summer! The story follow a young girl who joins a Charles Manson-like cult in the 1960 and will have you drawn into the era throughout the book.
- I Almost Forgot about You by Terry McMillan was one that I really wanted to read this summer and I’ve been saving it for my solo vacation! Growing up, my older sister was obsessed with many of Terry’s books including Waiting to Exhale (one of my favorite movies) and A Day Late and a Dollar Short, so I knew that it was time for me to read one of her books for myself. I’m excited to dive in and hopefully see it on the silver screen one day.
Of course, these are just several books on my bigger lists, but these jumped out when I thought of interesting summer reads! What books are on your summer book list? Share a comment below and I’ll add your recommendation to my list.