Well I’m back in LA after a fabulous weekend in Ohio with my family and friends! The cold, crisp air and beautiful fall colored leaves made me really remember of how much I LOVE fall and that the holidays are just around the corner. Usually I just skip Halloween and dive right into Thanksgiving and Christmas festivities, but last year was the first time I actually enjoyed Halloween as an adult. Sure, I had done the crazy college girl thing and went out with my friends, drank a little too much, and followed the basic Mean Girls rule of thumb: “Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” Thankfully, at 31, my mind-set has completely changed when it comes to Halloween (seriously, thank goodness!!!) and would rather wear something silly and/or comfortable than to be out in a “slutty ___ ” costume. As you can see, I have done it all when it comes to costumes from my pictures!
This week I’m going to give some good costume suggestions that will cover you no matter if you’re going for sexy and flirty or silly couple looks. I think the best rules of thumb are that you LOVE your costume, can be comfortable, yet confident in it and that you can have fun wearing it! I cannot tell you how annoying it is when you’re trying to have a conversation with someone at a Halloween party, but can’t focus because you’re uncomfortable in your costume or do not feel confident in it. So hopefully, my Halloween Report will give you some ideas on having the perfect Halloween costume this year! And because I know how INSANELY expensive these costume can be, you’ll happily surprised at my some of finds!
2015 Curvy Girl Halloween Report
Homemade, Easy & Cheap Costumes
- Now this “costume” (used loosely for this one) is perfect for the anti-Halloween Curvy Girl! This cute This Is My Costume t-shirt could be paired with basic jeans & boots for a chill night out with friends. Grab it soon because it’s on sale at Target!
- A good costume idea for you Hunger Games fans (is anyone else super pumped for the last movie next month?!) is dressing like Katniss Everdeen. The great thing about this costume, is that you’ll find a ton of stuff in your closet that you all ready have, including a pair brown or olive cargo pants, black boots (mid-calf are perfect), a brown belt, and black hoodie. To complete the look, grab an official Mockingjay pin and a toy bow and arrow set.
- Rosie the Riveter is a classic costume that is easy to create and is super comfortable! Grab a pair of dark jeans, denim button-down shirt (don’t forget to roll up those sleeves), a good red lipstick, and of course, the signature red polka dot headband that you can grab from etsy!
- Because I am a child of the 90s, one costume idea that keeps floating around is Miss Frizzle from the Magic School Bus children’s book collection! Honestly, this is a beyond easy costume, but has a little bit of craftiness need. First you’ll need to head to your local dollar store and get a couple art supplies: construction paper (grab the multicolored pack) and Elemer’s glue. You’ll be creating planets, stars and moons from the supplies that you’ll either tape or pin to your outfit. Once you’ve got the crafts portion situated, start sporadically placing your construction paper creations on a blue dress. All you’ll need to do after that is curl your hair and tease it a bit into a bun for a fun night out! Look at #26 for inspiration!
- If you want to be a little more dressed up, less homemade, and comfortable for the night, I’m LOVING the Wonder Woman Skater Dress from Torrid! Clearly this cute and comfortable dress is almost sold out, but they have other super hero themes in this dress as well including: Iron Man, Darth Vader, and Super Man!
Cute Couple Costumes
- My favorite of the group is the Soap and Loofa costume! These easy to make costumes take a little time to construct, but are under $40 total to make both (sooo good for 2 cute costumes!). Take a look at the instructions on how to make it!
- A fun costume that would be a blast from the past is AC Slater and Jessie Spano from Saved By the Bell costumes. For Jessie, get a light pair of skinny jeans, a button-down top (check this one out from Forever 21), a classic headband, and booties. For AC, grab a pair of mineral wash joggers, an over sized pattern button-down (go up a size for effect) or a classic Bayside High Tank, and the AC Slater wig. Trust me you will definitely get some laughs with this pair!
- Because Empire is all the rage right now, why not be the crazy, yet fashionable Cookie and Lucious Lyon! The great thing about both of these costumes is that I’m sure you have a lot of items in your closet already. For Cookie, grab a fabulous form-fitting dress, sexy platform heels, cheap costume jewelry, a fur vest (a must have for the winter anyways!), and to really add that sassy Cookie Lyon flavor, get a fun wig (who knows, it might end up being a treat for some bedroom tricks later ::wink wink::). Now for Lucious, have your man wear black slacks with a black turtleneck and add a fun colored blazer to kill the look. This one is definitely going to be a big hit at any party and if done just right could have you winning a costume contest!
Group Fun Costumes
- Because I’m a super Clueless fan, the Cher, Dionne, and Tai costumes would be a classic at any party! MTV has the perfect costume guide for this one… check it out!
- Speaking of MTV… if you grew up in the 90s like me, you know how AMAZING the show Daria was! Grab your best gal and dress at Daria and Jane Lane this year. The costumes are super simple and you may already have several pieces in your closet already. Here’s a reference of what you’ll need!
- A pretty easy, cheap, and uber comfortable group costume idea is that has been popular is Orange is the New Black. All that’s needed are tan scrubs and a set of orange scrubs for Piper, plain Keds or Converse sneakers, and lots of personality and crazy hair! I will say that this has been one costume that has gotten some negative in the past, so be sure to keep it in check and be respectful with this one.
- A funny idea for a group of 3 would be Rock, Paper, & Scissors! This has several things that you need to achieve the costumes, but it is really super cute when it’s all put together.
Sexy & Flirty Costumes
- One year I was a sexy sailor and LOVED everything about it (the pic is cute, right?). I’m a big fan of the Sailor’s Delight costume on Amazon because it’s sexy and has a bit more coverage for us girls who have a little extra booty! And I love the idea of white fishnets with it and a fun red platform.
- I am
lovingOBSESSED with this Vintage Flight Attendant costume from Yandy! It’s sexy, yet classy and will get you a lot of looks throughout the night. To really make the look, I would add the a pair of back seamed cuban tights!
- A cop is an easy costume to put together, but I am dying over this Stop Traffic Sexy Cop Uniform! Umm hello?! a CATSUIT MOMENT! Sign. Me. Up!!
- I have always (like forever) thought that being a referee would be a cute costume for a flirty night out. The Halftime Hottie is really cute for some sexy ref action this year. Grab a whistle, pair of black knee boots and a yellow flag to call out party fouls and you’re all set to make some good calls throughout the night!
What do you think, Curvy Girls? I think if you follow my advice on being comfortable and confident in your costume, you will look incredible! After all of the details I included above for each costume, you’re probably wondering what I’ll be wearing on October 31st. Well you will have to follow me on Facebook to help me choose the lucky costume I’ll be rocking this Halloween. If you have a suggestion on what I should wear, comment below and I’ll definitely take it into consideration! And don’t forget to tag you costume with #curvygirlscan this year, so we can see how fabulously hott you look!
Ok Curvy Girls, until next week!