Over the last decade, I have been asked literally the same two questions over and over again: how do you keep your complexion so clear & how did you do your make up that way? It’s insane to me because I never paid attention to either until my early 20s and honestly, I thought I was doing the same things as my friends!
Growing up, I always loved the idea of make up; the beautiful colors, sparkle it added and the glamour of it all had me mesmerized! Shockingly, I actually didn’t learn the “normal” step-by-step make up skills from my mom. She’s a bit traditional when it comes to the girlie stuff and make up, unless it’s to wear lipstick and a little powder for special occasions and church. Even though my mother had limited make up skills, she did open up the door for me to learn from a professional when I was 13 and had my first “break out” (3 tiny pimples on my forehead… aka the end of my world at that time). The sad thing is, she didn’t realize at the time was that she would ended up creating a make up crazed monster during that first trip to the mall make up counters. Our lengthy hour-long investigation on what was right for my skin ended with us walking out with the Clinique’s 3-Step Skin Care System, a tube of brown lipstick and a very special friendship with the manager of the Clinique counter, Missy. Yes, a friendship! Missy ended up teaching me all of the tricks of the trade up when I went back to get my make up done for my first homecoming and every other dance known to man for a High School gal. She made me look incredible and I can’t really thank her enough for taking the time to teach me all those years ago (trust me she was my go-to make up artist for what seems like forever). Since then, I have developed a legit passion for make up that others usually call an obsessions!
From fake lashes to ruby-red lips, I’ve tried it all and have found some true and tried brands that are incredible! My top 10 list of must haves have taken me from a busy work day to a nighttime outing and always produces tons of compliments from all types of people! If you learn anything from this blog, I hope this is the one post that you keep in mind when you’re at the Sephora, MAC, drugstore or Target shopping.
A Curvy Girl’s Top 10 Must Have Makeup List
- Clinique’s Liquid Facial Soap and Clarifiying Lotion 2 have saved my skin since I was 13 years old! The soap has changed from a bar to liquid over the years, but it still gives you that nice, clean feeling! I use this along with the Clarifying Lotion 2 (check to see which lotion to use for your skin type by taking the skin type test) to get my skin looking its best within minutes. One of the biggest secrets about the soap is that it’s amazing for taking every bit of make up off at the end of the night!
- Crud by bodygoodies is a newer obsession! When I lived in Ohio, my sister told me about this cute, little soap store, so I checked it out and ended up trying several different delicious smelling soaps, including Crud! This mild, organic soap gets all the “crud” out of your pores and leaves your skin super clean. I’ve been using it as a deep cleanse twice a week for a year and my skin looking AMAZING! It’s perfect for when I know I’ve been wearing lots of make up for multiple days and need that “so fresh and so clean, clean” look (sorry, but I love Outkast so I had to😉)!
- Moisture Surge by Clinique is my jam! The non-sticky or oily gel give great moisture coverage to my face. I love to put it on right after I pat dry my face after a shower because the little bit of water mixed with Moisture Surge gives an extra boost of hydration I need. Seriously, try it!
- Bare Minerals’ Multi-Tasking Face powder is INCREDIBLE for coverage. I use this as an all over powder for daily-ish use. The fact that it’s lightweight and covers well is really important for me, especially when I don’t have a ton of time to touch up.
- Mineralized SkinFinish Natural by MAC in Sun Power is my perfect bronzer! When I’m tired and have to put a little something on to look better, this is a go-to thing I throw on. The natural look gives a little boost of color and warmth to the skin! And trust me when I say… a little goes a long way, so don’t go crazy swirling your brush in it😊
- L’Orèal Volumious Million Lashes Mascara does two things for me; the wand spreads the lashes out so they fan perfectly and the actual cream mascara fills out the lashes to look bigger and sexier! I love having deliciously full lashes and this is a great bases to build lots of layers for a gaudy look☺️ And I can’t forget to mention, that you can get this at your local Target or drugstore for super cheap (under $10)! Awesome, right?
- Burt’s Bees Grapefruit Bees Lip Balm doesn’t seem like it would be on my list of make up, but I use it daily to keep my lips moisturized and soft (gotta keep ‘me right for the fellows!). I am a big fan of applying a decent amount before I put on any kind of lip color or gloss; it’s an easy and simple way to block color stains and to not get dried out by thick glosses!
- Smashbox’s Photo Op Eye Shadow Trio has been my jam for years! The ombré trio gives you a great pallet, so you don’t have to worry about trying to coordinate what colors will look good together! My favorite is called Screen Shot and gives me a sexy & golden look with a chocolatey smoky eye to add a little drama to my eye look!
- Another Smashbox fav is the Brow Tech To Go, which has been saving my brows for over 3 years. My eyebrows aren’t the thinnest or thickest in the world, so Brow Tech has a nice, thick, and easy to use pencil color to fill in the lighter spots, but on the flip side, it has an awesome gel/wand set that keeps everything nice and tame. This kind of 2-for-1 situation make it easy to keep up with products and use!
- All Nighter by Urban Decay. is a staple in my make up collection! This makeup setting spray gets the job done to keep everything looking perfect for 10+ hours (trust me when I say this is a God-sent during wedding season!). A bottle goes a pretty long way because a few pumps all over the face is all you need. If you have a long day or event coming up, definitely grab this and be shocked that you look good literally ALL day!
Good list right? This, of course, is just the tip of the iceberg for me and my skin care/make up routine, so be sure to follow the blog and my Pinterest for more tips and ideas! Now, it’s your turn to share!! If you have a special product that you can’t live without or are obsessed with, let me know! Can’t wait to hear from you guys!