As we get in the thick of things for summer, I have been trying to keep inspired to workout more often. Usually I can get motivation from posts from my favorite fitness instructors on Instagram, finding new workouts to try, or even new workout clothes, but this week was a little different! Seeing the U.S. Women’s Soccer team win the World Cup and reading the article in ESPN Magazine’s Body Issue featuring Amanda Bingson, USA Track & Field hammer thrower, where she’s poses naked has me wanting to push a little harder in my workouts.
I have had a love/hate relationship with fitness and working out my entire life, but I know that it’s so important to keep my health up and stress down. Over the last few years, I have focused on finding my “soulmate” workouts (these are my go-to, cannot-live-without workouts) that I LOVE and not trendy studios that offer classes that I’m uncomfortable in. My soulmate workouts all have a dance element accompanied by my favorite songs, but leave me sweaty and feeling happier, stress-free, and stronger. If you are new to working out, hate going to the gym, or just have no motivation or confidence to work out, I have some great tips for you!
TIP 1: Start Small by Hitting the Park
I have always LOVED going to my local parking and getting a sweat in! There’s no pressure of a crowded gym or class where you’re constantly wondering if you’re doing it right. Challenge yourself by walking for 4 minutes then jog for 1 minute; this kind of interval training will help to condition you’re body for harder training sessions in the future. Once you’ve gotten use to that interval, increase the jogging and decrease the walking in between (example: run for 3 minutes, walk for 2 minutes). Another great thing about the park, is that you go at your own pace and can use the playground equipment to your advantage to spice up your workout. Check out this awesome looking playground workout!
TIP 2: Just HIIT Play at Home
Because I’m from Ohio originally and the winter’s there can be brutal, I enjoy a good DVD workout from time to time. I have a couple DVDs that are my go-to workouts, including one of my wonderful soulmate workouts, SWEAT by Dawn Archer! The one amazing thing about these types of home workouts is that they can be super quick and effective; my favorite is a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) session, where I can get a full body workout in 30 minutes or less. If you’re limited on time and want to really get some work in try Turbo Fire. It will seriously make you feel like you’re going to die, but you’ll feel like AH-MAZING after!!
TIP 3: Get Inspired & Motivated on Social Media
One day I was chatting with my dearest girlfriend, Sarah, about staying motivated and she mentioned that she had started following a lot of “fit-lebrities” on Instagram who motivate her with pictures, short videos, and quotes. I shortly followed suit and found some incredibly motivating women and men on IG who keep it real on their struggles, offered advise for days on eating healthy, and even how to challenge themselves physically, mentally, and emotionally throughout their journeys. Check out my favorite fit-lebrities of Instagram! I know they’ll leave you motivated and ready to hit the gym or a class.
- Kardio Krunk is another one of my soulmate workouts with the incredible Jeffrey Larosa-Adams. The positivity and fun that Jeffrey provides on his IG and Facebook, literally has me running to his classes! If you’re not in LA and want an amazing dance workout, check out his Youtube channel (you might even see your favorite curvy girl in some😉)!
- I already mentioned Dawn Estelle Archer, but she is worth mentioning again! This girl is fabulous, sexy, knowledgeable, and so humble. SWEAT isn’t just a workout for her and many others, but it’s therapy session to yell through the pain, push through the song, and find peace of mind in the sweat.
- With Tone It Up, these two gals just make you want to live a happier & healthier life. The positive vibes they provide via IG just makes you want to get up, workout, and smile:)
- Get Fit Tory kills it in every single workout she posts about and makes you want to kill it too. If you scroll through her images and see her journey, she will motivate you like no other.
- A girl after my own heart (and from Ohio!!), Erica Fit Love has witty humor and a love for donuts, which always keeps me laughing! And her workouts, story, and passion are enough motivation to push me in my own workout.
- Assie, Sami Rose is awesome! I love that she has changed her body with pure diligence and passion to be the best her. Look at her before and after pics to see how incredible her journey has been.
TIP 4: Dress to Impress… Yourself
One of my biggest motivators is the cute workout clothes that are in every store! Knowing that I am lookin’ good makes me feel good and ready to work out. And honestly who doesn’t like it when you want into a class and people are asking you where you got your yoga pants or t-shirt?! I know I LOVE a good compliment (always fishing lol)! With plus-size clothing taken a full 180 degree turn over the last several years, workout clothing for curvy girls has come a LONG way. I remember wearing mesh shorts and old high school t-shirt to work out in college and feeling bigger than I was because they didn’t really give you any kind of shape. Trust me when I say there is not one thing wrong with that look, it’s just not how I like to look when I hit a class. My go-to looks include tight capri leggings from Maurices that come in lots of fun colors and designs; just be careful because they tend to run a little big and no one wants to spend the whole workout pull up their pants; loose and breezy basic tops from Forever 21 or the super popular & inspiring tanks from Dawn Estelle Archer with saying like Twerkin’ is My Cardio, Sweat Sleep Repeat, and the very popular SWEAT (get them fast because they are known to sell out!); a comfy and sexy Victoria Secret’s Incredible sports bra is prefect to hold the twins in place, while I jump, squat, and twerk; and of course my leopard print Nike’s are a fun little addition to each outfit. It’s all about personal style, what makes you feel good and motivates you!
I hope that these tips will help you in your fitness journey! Be sure check out one of my favorite workouts below and some pics of my workout style. If you have something that movtivates you or a favorite workout playlist, or even a favorite place to get workout clothes, I would love to hear about it in the comment section below!